If you follow me on Twitter or Facebook, then you know that I’ve been paying attention to what’s going on in the Trayvon Martin case.
We live in a world where a young black man, unarmed, is shot coming home from the convenience store and his killer is not arrested, not prosecuted. We live in a world where a young black man, unarmed, is shot coming home from the convenience store and he is deemed to be at fault for his own death.
Quite frankly, there’s just too much for me to do justice in a post, so I’m going to post links to what I’ve been reading, in the order that I read them, earliest reports to latest. Please click through to these reports. Please read. Please get informed. If you don’t have time to click through to all the links, Mother Jones has a frequently updated page with all the latest developments.
- Florida’s Stand Your Ground Laws and the Killing of Trayvon Martin
- Trayvon Martin: Sorry, The First Murder Is Free Of Charge
- Zimmerman actively stalked Trayvon & knew he would be protected by NRA’s insane “Shoot First” law in FL.
- Good essay on Trayvon and that bumpersticker
- Trayvon Martin Killing’s Youngest Witness, 13, Still Can Hear The Screams
- Go Get Skittles for Your Brother, End Up Dead: The Killing of Trayvon Martin and Who’s Getting Away With It and Why
- Killing Trayvon Twice
- In Trayvon Martin case, Justice Dept will also investigate “police response + the decision not to arrest Zimmerman“
- Trayvon Martin, Racism in the United States, and You (VA doesnt have a “stand your ground” law on the books, but case law has given us a de facto one)
- “Black children are seen as dispensable.” TrayvonMartin & the culture that criminalised & then killed him.
- Florida Refuses to Suspend Gun License of Trayvon Martin’s Shooter
- Via nprnews: Trayvon Martin Was Afraid, Too
- Video: Obama says, “If I had a son, he’d look like Trayvon Martin.“
- Author of “stand your ground” law: George Zimmerman should probably be arrested for killing Trayvon Martin (via @CBSNews)
- How did black kids in hoods become scary? History would imply otherwise. (via @SER1897)
- FACT: Last year, Zimmerman called the police to report a suspicious black male “7-9″ years old, “skinny build”
- I just became a Heat fan.
- A Young Black Man, Being Late
- Hoodies don’t kill, but ignorance and hate do:a Friday post by BGIM
- This powerful Samuel L. Jackson video is from 2010. Chillingly applicable to George Zimmerman and Trayvon Martin.
- “The hoodie is just a symbol, one symbol among many that creates a constantly moving target to justify racist violence”.
- “I Could Be Trayvon“.
- “White privilege”: Not discovering that GeraldoRivera thinks he can tell me these things – even tho I’m POTUS (Rly: http://t.co/sOz0bX7v) (via @emilylhauser)
- Stand with Trayvon’s mother for justice
- “When Lindsay Graham obliquely calls your actions racist, you have derailed.” – Liss in http://t.co/qipQXg6z
- An Open Letter To George Zimmerman from @PWRMommyNation. (via @CecilyK)
- The lead investigator on the Trayvon Martin case wanted a manslaughter charge (via Shakesville
and ABC News).
- 30 paragraphs into this story, it’s mentioned that Zimmerman’s dad is a retired magistrate judge. (via Shakesville
- And from this morning, more links at Shakesville